Thursday, March 8, 2012

In honor of Women's Day

Women's History Month and International Women's Day: Celebration.




Today is Women's Day.



And this month is Women's History Month.



So, today, and this month I think about women, around the world, who live in fear: of violence, persecution, political or social oppression.



Who don't have a safe space to explore their inner and outer worlds, who can't be silly, who can't go jump in puddles, who don't have time or resources to read a new book, write a new poem, paint a new portrait.



Who don't get to walk to the beat of their own drum, who can't even walk alone.



And I think of the women of the past and present, in my own life and whom I've never met, who take a chance, make mistakes, fall, get up, who laugh and make fools of themselves.



Who gaze up to the stars, who let their minds wander out into the free open air, and study the currents and under-currents harbored in the infinite sky.



The women who march right up to the corners of our universe, to the folds of the fabric, and who launch themselves into the unknown.



Today I express my appreciation, love, and unwavering gratitude for those individuals in my life who have allowed me the freedom and space to say what I think, whatever it is, and be who I am, without judgement.



The freedom, in friendship and love, which allowed me to embark on a life journey of possibilities, playing with life's options, and much silliness.



I have had, through no volition of my own, the good fortune to have been born to a family which provided a childhood world where I was equal, and I count my blessings.



I have had friends, family, colleagues, teachers, students, coaches and players whom have shared experiences and in mutual respect, been with me in life's joys and sorrows.







How many times I've wanted to say thanks, but never did.







Today,



I say,



Thanks.







No comments:

Post a Comment